Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Project Read!
It is because of you and others like you that Project Read is able to touch the lives of hundreds of individuals each year. There are many ways you can get involved and help change lives. If none of the options below feels like a good fit, check out the Donor tab at the top of the page and consider contributing financially to Project Read.
Meet one-on-one with an adult literacy student to improve English literacy skills and assist him or her in using those skills to meet self-identified goals. Responsibilities include the following:
- Commit 6 months to Project Read
- Meet with your student 3 hours each week
- Prepare lessons for your student
- Attend periodic training and skill-enhancement workshops
- Encourage your student to keep commitments to test, update paperwork, and attend lab
Assist the Project Read Literacy Specialists in teaching small groups of students and help students in lab with their personal reading and writing projects. Responsibilities include the following:
- Attend labs on a regular basis (see Calendar for days and times)
- Prepare and teach mini-lessons in small-group settings
- Attend periodic trainings
Assist the Office Manager with various projects as they arise. Responsibilities may include the following:
- Respond to emails regarding current or upcoming projects
- Organize resource materials
- Prepare student and tutor orientation packets
- Alphabetize, file, and update student records
- Level books for the Project Read lending library
- Write summaries for project read books
Support the Project Read staff and various promotional, fundraising, and student/volunteer events. Responsibilities include the following:
- Commit at least 3 months to working with Project Read
- Assist in organizing, advertising, and preparing for Project Read events
- Assist at the event
Some previous events as examples:
- BYU, UVU, and community volunteer recruitment
- Annual Spelling Bee fundraiser (in September)
- Help manage information and volunteer information booths
- Help make flyers and promotional publications
- Be an ambassador for Project Read and help educate the community about our cause
This is a one-year position and looks amazing on a resume. We only keep two VISTAs on staff at a time, so check with us to see if there’s an opening.
Refer a friend
Do you know someone who struggles with reading or writing? We can help!
Do you know someone who would be interested in volunteering? Tell them about us!
It cost Project Read about $1,000 to help 1 student for 1 year. We only ask students to pay a $10 fee annually. This means we need lots of support from our amazing donors. Check out our Donor Page!
All volunteers must be at least 18 years of age and have a high school diploma or GED equivalent.
Volunteers are expected to submit monthly reports, act as a mature, responsible adult at all times, and respect the privacy and confidentiality of students.
Anyone wishing to borrow books from the Project Read lending library must pay a fully refundable Book Deposit of $20.